This is developing (check back for more)
- TRUMP REMOVES FBI DIRECTOR JAMES COMEY: WHITE HOUSE
- TRUMP FIRES COMEY: SPICER STATEMENT
Today, President Donald J. Trump informed FBI Director James Comey that he has been terminated and removed from office.
President Trump acted based on the clear recommendations of both Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
Here’s the letter:
And here’s what Jeff Sessions (who lied under oath) sent to Trump:
This comes after the FBI notified Congress that Comey grossly exaggerated important findings regarding the Clinton email investigation during testimony last week. Apparently, when Comey said “hundreds and thousands,” of e-mails were forwarded to Anthony Weiner, he actually meant “a small number.”
As WaPo notes, “a letter was sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday, more than a week after Comey testified for hours in defense of his handling of the Clinton probe.”
“This letter is intended to supplement that testimony to ensure that the committee has the full context of what was reviewed and found on the laptop,’’ wrote FBI Assistant Director Gregory A. Brower.
This was first reported by ProPublica. To wit:
FBI director James Comey generated national headlines last week with his dramatic testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee, explaining his “incredibly painful” decision to go public about the Hillary Clinton emails found on Anthony Weiner’s laptop.
Perhaps Comey’s most surprising revelation was that Huma Abedin — Weiner’s wife and a top Clinton deputy — had made “a regular practice” of forwarding “hundreds and thousands” of Clinton messages to her husband, “some of which contain classified information.” Comey testified that Abedin had done this so that the disgraced former congressman could print them out for her boss. (Weiner’s laptop was seized after he came under criminal investigation for sex crimes, following a media report about his online relationship with a teenager.)
The New York Post plastered its story on the front page with a photo of an underwear-clad Weiner and the headline: “HARD COPY: Huma sent Weiner classified Hillary emails to print out.” The Daily News went with a similar front-page screamer: “HUMA ERROR: Sent classified emails to sext maniac Weiner.”
The problem: Much of what Comey said about this was inaccurate. Now the FBI is trying to figure out what to do about it.
Don’t forget this:
And do note that this is Trump firing someone who is investigating the administration’s ties to Russia. I mean, it’s difficult to imagine that this is anything other than Trump purging anyone who might be getting too close.
Because what’s the alternative here (given everything noted above)? That Trump is suddenly “concerned” that Comey might have screwed Hillary?! That’s ludicrous. But apparently that’s what they’re going with. Here’s WaPo again:
Officials said Comey was fired because senior Justice Department officials concluded he had violated Justice Department principles and procedures by publicly discussing the investigation of Hillary Clinton’s use of private email.
- “I was as disappointed and frustrated as anyone at how the email investigation was handled. But this terrifies me,” Hillary Clinton’s campaign manager Robby Mook says on Twitter after FBI Director James Comey’s firing. Clinton campaign press sec. Brian Fallon says reasons for firing are “appropriate sentiment,” but DOJ should “have awaited IG probe on Comey”
- “Now it just smells like coverup on Russia”
- “Congressional Republicans cannot possibly disagree now: the only fix to this mess is an independent commission with subpoena power,” Fallon says
- “I’m not shedding any tears for Comey personally – he hurt FBI’s reputation – but I do worry whether we ever get to the bottom of Russia now”
Then there’s this:
And the backlash is coming in hot:
Even Snowden is pissed: