The beleaguered pound rallied sharply as Theresa May delivered her highly anticipated speech outlining the UK’s “clean” break with the EU.
Have a look:
Sterling also soared agains the yen.
Here are the highlights of the PM’s speech:
- Britain to be “a country that reaches beyond the borders of Europe too” and a “magnet for international talent.”
- Britons voted Brexit “accepting the road ahead will be uncertain at times”
- “I want Britain to be what we have the potential talent and ambition to be”
- “Brexit was not a decision to turn inward and retreat from the world”
- Britain is “profoundly internationalist,” more so than EU
- In the U.K.’s “national interest that EU should succeed”
- Govt will put final Brexit deal to vote in Parliament
- Don’t want to see the EU unravel
- EU “bends towards uniformity and not flexibility”
- Predecessor David Cameron’s final renegotiation before Brexit vote was a “valiant final attempt to make it work for Britain”
- Holding EU together by force, could “crush into tiny pieces what you want to protect”
- “Brexit must mean control of the number of people that come to Britain from Europe and that’s what we will deliver.”
- “Staying in the single market would mean to all intents and purposes not leaving the EU”
- I want new deal with EU customs union
Conciliatory or not?
Sell the rumor, buy the news?
Algos gone wild? Squeeze?
Resistance is at 1.2317.