democracy Notes From Disgraceland politics

"What is happening is not a financial crisis or an economic downturn caused by the endogenous workings and self-sabotage of the capitalist system."

13 comments on “This Is Not An Economic Crisis With Social Consequences. It’s A Social Crisis With Economic Consequences.

1. Viss says:

In other words, the market is highly overvalued. Amen

2. joesailboat says:

Outer bound of our intelligence is denial or not worth while. The stock market was become the most amazing form of crony capitalism. It has now bean confronted. Wealth of Nation may replace greed of the individual.

3. Mr. Oxygen says:

Show me any person intellectual or not who has acted on the real and I will show you someone I want in the foxhole with me even if only in spirit. Show me a family member or friend who has acted on the real, and I will show you someone i want in the foxhole with me if only in heart and spirit. Most of those family who occupy my foxhole believed in something beyond the flesh and they bring no intellectual boundaries to the fight.

4. Or, this entire “thought” piece is utter nonsense. “Real change” isn’t a thing. The nature of humanity is to organize into societies where the few have power and the many have none. Perhaps with a small-ish middle tier that has enough power to keep the masses in line without threatening the system.

If, right now, we happen to find ourselves living through an exogenous shock that has created a crisis of such magnitude as to overthrow the current system built upon capitalism and free selection, we’re not going to find a new, freer society where everyone is (more) equal coming out the other side. Instead, we’ll find ourselves in a different system, with a different set of rules and norms, where there will still be a few on top and everyone else on the bottom. If we’re lucky, some of players at the top will get shuffled around and there will be some new blood in there. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Also, this entire piece is written from a wildly Eurocentric perspective. It’s very difficult to look at the broad history of world and conclude that “history [is] the process of moving toward the realization of human freedom” or that “history is directional” and represents “an improvement from a more primitive condition of humanity to a more advanced”. A quick look at the history of Africa, the Middle East, Russia or China exposes the non-universality of that viewpoint. I can understand how a 19th century German philosopher would use the narrow lens of European history to analyze the arc of humanity, but someone writing in the 21st century ought to know better.

• gdhalpha says:

I think you may be right except the arc of history is a little longer perhaps, and even the writer of the piece is leaving out a step.
      This exogenous shock, like many others, forces people to find an answer in a leader who will fix everything for them first. People will abandon their freedoms for someone who will think for them, whether it be god or Trump. Witness the 15% bump in approval ratings for Trump’s handling of this crisis (WHO are these people, this 15% fooled into thinking daily press briefings equal leadership?)
      We may be in an intermediate period. It’s difficult to hold out any hope when those who need an authoritarian leader to think and act for them “cling to their guns and their religion” while the others demanding revolution cling to their smartphones.
      The guns may win for awhile.

5. I too will celebrate this “unconditional moment” of uncertainty. The dialectical transition from democracy to kleptocracy required the anesthesia of global capital to keep the ethical Mind asleep. Now, with our own survival at stake and Mr. Business-As-Usual dead on the floor, we have the chance to assume personal responsibility for where we go from here–toward a new synthesis. To paraphrase, ” The fault , dear Heisenberg, is not in our System, but in ourselves that we are underlings.”

6. northwest says:

I told you on the issue of statues commemorating Southern Civil War Heroes, be careful what you wish for. Wasn’t that what I told you?
    Anonymouscoward’s got it right.

7. I was thinking of Harrara and his ideas about societal mythologies……Iour common myths might be in transition.

8. Tom Swift says:

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
    What’s the real problem and the real solution to most of the world’s problems?
    THERE IS A MAJOR FLAW IN OUR GENETIC SEQUENCE!
    Humans can out breed and out think our available resources.
    We are the virus.

That’s why I’m an ag-producer. If the human race is going to consume it’s way to self-extinction, I’m going to enjoy the ride.
    You eat werid food because there isn’t enough of the healthy stuff, you get weird hard to control diseases.

Philisophical essay’s are a distraction on the way to oblivion.

9. George says:

All this could probably be summed up in about three paragraphs… Not really certain what the author is really trying to say about HIMSELF in all of this.. Paragraph starting with “While all previous recoveries ” would be a starting point…..

10. Day 9. I think. I awake yet again amid the fatigued dreariness of this lifeless quarantine. My tenuous grip on reality lets slip one more finger. I sense Madness drawing near. With daily mechanical conviction I turn to the scriptures of Heisenberg, but today they read like Arts and Letters Daily. Who am I